WELL FOR STARTERS, I POST a lot of WHAT I'M CURRENTLY EATING ON MY INSTAGRAM STORIES [ @MALIAMURPHEY ]. I FOLLOW mostly A PLANT BASED, VEGAN diet and i eat fresh fish. I'M SENSITIVE TOO EGGS, SOYBEANS, KIDNEY BEANS, PEANUTS, CASHEWS AND DAIRY. SENSITIVE MEANING these foods give ME THE WORST STOMACH ACHE AND BLOATING YOU COULD EVER IMAGINE and to top it off they make me break out :(
thanks to my dad who is a pescatarian, i grew up on that diet. we always had fish for dinner that my dad would catch. free fish dinners are something i took for granted when i was younger. i thought i'd be sick of fish by now, but FUNNY ENOUGH, i love it even more. its a fine balance though, because MOST fish tend to have high mercury LEVELS which is not good for us, especially the deep sea fish or the big guys, so i try to eat fish in moderation.
a tip if you are a fish eater like me; counter act to eat things that can aid to cleanse your body of those toxic metals /chemicals you get from eating fish. or even just in general, we are exposed to harmful metals and chemicals everyday whether its from drinking tap water, the air, your environment, eating a lot of processed foods, eating out, etc. below i list a few foods to incorporate into your daily diet, eventually it should become apart of your lifestyle.
cilantro is one of THE MOST COMMON FOODS that can cleanse your body of mercury and other metals/chemicals, so i cook with cilantro all the time. majority of my home-made dressings are cilantro based.
the second best detox agent is garlic, so be sure to cook with plenty of garlic (one of my fav ways to intake a lot of garlic is making home-made garlic bread which i listed below).
burdock root is a wonderful thing to incorporate into your diet, its an all around cleanser and so good to clean your blood, usually intake it as a tea or pickled (like you would make pickled veggies).
fermented foods are all around good for you and definitely aid to detox the body; sauer krout, kimchi, miso.
amino acids, sulfur-rich foods such as cauliflower, spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, onion, carrots, papaya, oatmeal. I EAT BREAD (GLUTEN) occasionally as well, OTHER WISE TOO MUCH AND IT WILL "CLOG ME UP" IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN LOL.
check my instagram story under "my diet" to see what i've been eating daily. below i've listed some of my go-to options for each meal of the day, click on them to view the recipes :)
D A I L Y R I T U A L S
morning, before i put anything into my body right when i wake up, i take a shot of live probiotics and a shot of noni juice. currently, I am taking a womens daily supplement, so i down that with a cup of water. i used to drink lemon water, apple cider vinegar exlixr every morning, but i felt it was too acidic for me, causing me to be very gasey lol. so now i just have it when i feel like it. i take 1 scoop of collagen powder in my coffee every morning.
WATER, I TRY TO KEEP MY HYDRO FLASK FULL ALL DAY, REMINDING MYSELF TO CONTINUALLY DRINK OUT OF IT, WATER IS SOOO IMPORTANT AND YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TO MUCH OF IT, ESPECIALLY DURING THE HUMID/HOT SEASONS HERE IN HAWAII.
SUPPLEMENTS, I DID A WHOLE BLOG POST ON SUPPLEMENTS (CLICK HERE TO READ IT) I TAKE AND WHEN I TAKE THEM, TO BE HONEST I'VE KIND OF TAKEN A BREAK FROM TAKING SUPPLEMENTS (MOST OF THEM WERE FOR MY SKIN, BUT NOW THAT MY SKIN IS DOING BETTER, I'VE CUT DOWN). CURRENTLY, I'LL TAKE TURMERIC PILLS IF I FEEL SORE AFTER A WORKOUT, PAPAYA AND CAYENNE PILLS IF MY STOMACH GETS UPSET FROM SOMETHING I EAT, A WOMENS DAILY PILL AT LEAST 2 X A WEEK.
snacking, my go-to snacks are fruit, nuts, protein balls, yogurt+granola+honey, banana with almond butter, smoothie, golden milk latte, chips and salsa, hummus and carrots, apple with almond butter, acai bowl, rosted sweet potatoes.
B R E A K F A S T
I LIKE TO SWITCH IT UP EVERY OTHER DAY OR WEEK. I USUALLY MAKE;
- CHIA PUDDING BOWL TOPPED WITH MY HOME MADE GRANOLA
- V/GF/RSF/ TURMERIC WAFFLES
- OATMEAL POWER BOWL
- BAGEL AND HUMMUS (toast bagel, spread your fav hummus on top)
- AVOCADO TOAST (toast your choice of bread, slice a fresh avo, place on top, add pepper, salt, sprouts, pickled red onions)
- ACAI BOWL
- SMOOTHIE (my friend @mahinagarcia makes a delicious green glowing smoothie)
L U N C H
I EAT A VARIETY OF DIFFERENT LUNCHES, USUALLY DEPENDING ON WHAT I COOK FOR DINNER FROM PREVIOUS NIGHTS, I GET CREATIVE WITH LEFT OVERS. USUALLY I MAKE;
- BUDDAH BOWLS (there are so many recipes on pinterest, find a few you like!)
- rainbow SALAD (TRY TO MAKE A SALAD WITH ALL THE COLORS OF THE RAINBOW, I'M A FAN OF BALSAMIC VINEGAR AND OLIVE OIL FOR MY DRESSING BUT FIND A VEGAN ONE YOU LOVE)
- FISH TACOS (FISH TACOS ARE SO EASY TO MAKE, I USUALLY JUST GRILL THE FISH ON A PAN WITH AVOCADO/GRAPESEED OIL, GRAB A GF TORTILLA, THROW SOME SALSA, GUAC, PURPLE CABBAGE AND WHATEVER VEGGIES I HAVE SAUTED UP, ONIONS, CILANTRO AND SQUEEZE OF FRESH LIME)
- VEGAN NACHOS (usually i use my left over chili and reheat it then GRAB SOME TORTILLA CHIPS, LAYER everything on a plate AND top IT with nutritional yeast, avocado and fresh salsa)
- sauted veggie burger (SAUTE SPINACH, MUSHROOM, ONIONS, DASH OF TURMERIC POWDER, SALT, PEPPER, THEN TOAST YOUR BUN, ADD YOUR SAUTED VEGGIES AND THEN TOP WITH LETTUCE, SPROUTS, TOMATOES, PICKLED VEGGIES, DIJION MUSTARD)
- FALAFEL WRAP OR SALAD
D I N N E R
DINNNERRRRR, SOMETIMES CAN BE SO STRESSFUL, COOKING IS A LOT OF WORK BUT SOOO REWARDING. I TRY TO PLAN MY WEEK OUT AND SEE WHAT IM FEELING IN THE MOOD FOR, I TRY TO EXPERIMENT OFTEN and make new meals BUT HERE IS A LIST OF MY GO-TO DINNER RECIPES WHICH ARE ALL VEGAN, PLANT BASED and gluten free.
- LASAGNA WITH MAC NUT RICOTTA
- lentil kale salad
- VEGGIE STIR FRY (i'll usually throw whatever veggies i have in my fridge in with onions and garlic, seasoned with curry powder, salt, pepper and top it with cilantro dressing)
- coconut lentil curry
- veggie curry
- pesto zucchini pasta with homemade garlic bread (bread of your preference brush on GRAPESEED oil and sprinkle freshly minced garlic on top and THEN toast)